Returning members: Dues must be paid by the 1st rehearsal of the term.
New members: Dues must be paid by the 3rd rehearsal of the term.
Please speak to the Treasurer for any issues.
It is the responsibility of each member to have the current season’s music by the 1st rehearsal of the term. It is also the responsibility of each member to learn his/her part outside of rehearsal time. Markings to the music are given by Maestro Close at rehearsals. It is the responsibility of each member to obtain markings that may have been dictated during a missed rehearsal. At any time, Maestro Close may request a review of the musical program to determine your concert readiness. Make sure you ALWAYS have a pencil with you at rehearsals.
All members must have an email address and access to email to receive and read weekly notes sent by our Administrative Director and Weekly Homework sent by our Maestro, David Close.
Each week you will be emailed Weekly nOtes which will keep you updated and informed about all matters relating to OSQ - important dates, reminders, fundraising events, etc. Carefully reviewing these notes will keep you current.
Each week, the Maestro will email you a list of pieces and selections you need to do to be prepared for the next rehearsal. All members are expected to do that homework consistently and diligently and come prepared at the next rehearsal.
You MUST notify your Section Leader of any absence. Section leader information can be found in the back of this handbook. Any extended absences/vacation must be discussed with the Artistic Director. Excessive absence will result in a discussion of your continued involvement with OSQ. After two (2) absences you may expect to receive a call from your Section Leader. A third absence will result in a serious discussion of your continued involvement with OSQ.
All members are required to be at rehearsals on time. If you expect to be late, please let your Section Leader know ahead of time. Excessive or habitual lateness will result in a discussion of your continued involvement with OSQ.
Each member is expected to sing every scheduled performance, unless an exception is granted by Maestro Close.
REHEARSAL STUDY GUIDES
Rehearsal tracks are made for the pieces we are performing through our Dropbox account. This service is free to members. You are strongly encouraged to practice online or download the tracks to study the music assigned for each week. While it may take a few weeks to learn a passage well, consistent practice makes the task manageable. YouTube videos of each of the pieces is also made available to all members. Rehearsal CDs can be made for a minimal cost.
Rehearsals are generally fun for most people since our Maestro has such a good sense of humor, but we must never lose sight of the fact that our primary purpose at rehearsal is to learn the nuances of the music, and you should come with the expectation that you will be learning music.
Rehearsal seating is determined at the discretion of the Artistic Director and the Section Leader. This will help achieve better choral balance and benefit members who need support in learning the music.
Each member is expected to attend ALL rehearsals in their entirety. During rehearsal, a member is expected to stay focused on the rehearsal. Attendance is recorded by the Section Leader.
All cell phones MUST be in silent mode - NO texting/messaging allowed.
NO gum chewing.
NO perfume, scented hairspray, aftershave lotion or scented anything.
- Talking during rehearsals is both distracting to the Maestro and to the others who are trying to concentrate on the music. This is something that should be avoided at all costs. If you have a question about the music, wait until the break and contact your Section Leader.
- Occasionally people will make mistakes while singing. Laughing at others when they miss a note is disrespectful and offensive. Keep in mind that they are trying, and we all miss a note from time to time.
- Do not hum your part while another vocal section is being rehearsed.
- Follow along silently so you know where and WHAT David is rehearsing, regardless of the voice part he is working with. Many times the same instruction will apply to your section.
- No eating in the rehearsal seating area (no cookies, no sandwiches, no pizza, no anything). Any type of food consumption must be confined to the platform area or the seating area in the outside lobby. Please clean up after yourself.
- No pork or shellfish products on the premises.