To the members of the Oratorio Society of Queens,
The Long Island Division of the Queens Borough Public library is deeply honored to be the recipient of the Oratorio Society of Queens’ records. The body of records consisting of correspondence, membership information, meeting minutes, photographs and scrapbooks, illuminates the organization’s vibrant 75-year history that began as a small community-based singing group to a large and popular borough-wide choral society.
The Long Island Division would like to acknowledge the dedicated work of volunteers who have spent hours preserving the society’s records, especially Joseph Tolciss. His dedicated work on the preservation of the records will ensure access to the records for future generations of researchers.
The relationship developed between the Oratorio Society of Queens and the Queens Borough Public Library’s Long Island Division is a symbiotic one where the society has a permanent and stable repository for its records and the division fulfills its mission by providing an invaluable resource on the history of Queens. Please accept our deepest gratitude for your consideration and generosity.
Long Island Division
Queens Borough Public Library
89-11 Merrick Boulevard
Jamaica, New York 11432
July 24, 2003
- Board Meeting Minutes, 1927 - 1983
- Papers & Correspondence, 1927 - 1959
- Scrapbooks, 1980's - 1999
- Miscellaneous Scrapbook material, 2002 - 2003
- Membership Rosters, 1951 - 1962, 1962 - 1967, 1964 - 2002
- Concert Programs, 1927 - 1999
- Membership Forms, 1927 - 1930
- Attendance Books, Fall 1947 - Spring 1955, Fall 1965 - Spring 1966.
Other items of interest are as follows:
- A framed certificate, “Charter Member of the Queens Council on the Arts 1967".
- A framed “Certificate of Appreciation from the Queens Borough Public Library to David Close & the Flushing Oratorio Society (sic) for a presentation at a Holiday Program at the Hillcrest Branch, April 4, 1985".
- Inking stamps in a box labeled “Oratorio Soc. 2 plates for ivory stationery - 1967".
- A Certificate of Appreciation from the Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts to the Oratorio Society of Flushing - its 1983 Award for Achievement, 12/8/82.
- Awards - Congressional Record, 1987.
- Letters from Debra Markell-Kleinert, Queens Borough Director, Community Assistance Unit and from Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of the City of New York “ welcoming everyone to Queensborough Community College for the 75th Holiday Concert of the Oratorio Society of Queens, 12/22/02."